If you ever needed to work with a lot of small files or needed more throughput than a usual SSD can offer, a RAM disk is the way to go. Using the ImDisk Tool on Windows makes it incredidbly easy to setup a RAM disk, runs very stable and offer usefull functionalities like changing the disk size ad hoc without reformatting.
Here’s how it works:
- Download ImDisk from http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/
- Go to the “Control Panel”, if you need to run the control the control panel as a different used, type “Win”, insert “cmd”, Shift+Rightclick, “Run as different user” and provide your credentials. Commandline will open. Type “control imdisk.cpl” and hit “Enter”.
- To link an existing directory
- In the control panel, click on “ImDisk Virtual Disk Manager”
- To create a Drive with 4GB in physical memory, click on “Mount New” and set the following properties
- Mark the Drive in your “ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver” Window and click the “Format…” button, located at the bottom of the window.
- In Commandline, type “mklink C:\dirYouWantToLink” “F:\”
For your reference, these are the the results from CrystalDiskMark: